Recently, Tencent Technology released the Q2 2016 report on the three China’s internet kingdoms Baidu, Alibaba and Tencent (often referred to as the “BAT”). Let’s see whose ruling China’s Internet.
Tencent, with a remarkable result of RMB35,691 million (USD5,382 million) total revenues in Q2 2016, became the most profitable player amongst BAT in this quarter. The China’s Internet Giant, Alibaba Group, took second place in this ‘competition’, with RMB32,154 million (US$4,838 million) revenue. However, Baidu revenue was only RMB24,140 million（US$3,632 million), failing to match competitors.
Let’s have a close look at the report.
Revenue performance – Tencent, Alibaba and Baidu.
Bars from left to right: Tencent, Alibaba and Baidu.
In the latest quarter, Tencent saw an increase of revenues of 52% year-over-year and Alibaba increased 59% in the same period. Both of Tencent and Alibaba are performing well, while Baidu revenue declined 34.1%, comparing with last quarter.
Key performance highlights – Tencent, Alibaba and Baidu
From top to bottom: Tencent, Alibaba and Baidu.
- Compared with last quarter, Tencent Game (including mobile games) share of revenue increased to 32%, mobile games is the most significant contributor to Tencent revenue as a whole.
- The mobile game sector increased 114% – 56% of revenue of Tencent Game revenue, comes from the mobile games.
- Tencent popular mobile messenger, WeChat, increased to 806 million months active users (MAU) – an increase of 34% from last year.
- The MAUs of Tencent’s original social network QQ, also increased 7% to 899 million.
- Alibaba’s total China retail marketplace revenue achieved an increase of 47% from last year, while 75% of this revenue was came from its mobile apps such as Taobao and Tmall.
- Annual active buyers on Alibaba China retail online marketplaces rose to 434 million in Q2 2016.
- Online sales reached US$2,549 million, an increase of 4.4% from last year.
- 62% of Baidu total revenue came from its mobile apps, such as Baidu Search.
- Mobile Searching site (namely, Baidu Search App) now has 667 million MAUs.
- Baidu Map, the brand’s map service similar to Google Maps, now has 43 million MAUs.
Revenue Composition – Tencent, Alibaba and Baidu
Pie Chart from top to bottom: Tencent, Alibaba and Baidu.
- 48% of the revenue came from Tencent’s online games, 24% from social media, 18% from online ads and 10% from other services.
- Alibaba’s revenue mainly came from its China online retail section, which contributed 85% of total revenue, while 10% came from entertainment service, 4% from Alicloud, and 1% from other services.
- Dominant proportion from online sales (93%), while 7% derived from other services.
GOLD – Tencent; SILVER – Alibaba; BRONZE; Baidu