Tencent QQ, popularly known as QQ, is an instant messaging software service developed by Chinese company Tencent in 1999. QQ offers a variety of services, including online social games, music, shopping, and voice chat.
Core Business: instant messaging
- Tencent QQ was first released in China as OICQ (“Open ICQ”, a reference to the early IM service ICQ) in February 1999.
- In 2005, Tencent launched Qzone, a social networking website.
- As of September 2009, Tencent launched its web-based QQ.
- Tencent QQ holds the Guinness World Record for the highest number of simultaneous online users. It reached a record of 210,212,085 users online on July 3, 2014.
- As of January 2015, there are 829 million active QQ accounts, with a peak of 176.4 million simultaneous online QQ users.
Instant Messages: QQ’s primary function allows users to communicate and send photos/documents.
Voice/Video Call: an online free phone-calling service.
- Online and offline file transmission
- Send folders directly; no need to compress or zip folders
There are two versions of QQ, the International Version and the Chinese Version. The only difference is that the Chinese version has more options. The international version of QQ offers several features that can be particularly useful. Aside from Chinese, QQ International currently offers 6 language interfaces– English, French, Japanese, Spanish, German and Korean.